Insider Tips for Shopping at an NCT Sale

It's funny to think that this time last year I was pregnant with our daughter. I'd thrown myself into volunteering for the NCT sales and was eager to get together a lovely bundle to kit out my child for the year.

Insider Tips for Shopping at an NCT Sale


This year I've taken a step back from volunteering and shopped NCT sales as a visitor instead, but armed with my daughter in the Manduca (baby carrier).

As I stood in line I wondered whether she was going to throw a wobbly. I've been with her before in it and felt very embarrassed that she clearly didn't want to be that close to me. It was very hot that day so perhaps that was the issue. So armed with bottle, keys and wallet (wish I had a baby kit belt sometimes) I waited in line and very soon we made it inside.

The room was packed and I aimed straight for the next clothing size I needed. It's a shame I couldn't ask my daughter what she thought of the clothing pieces, but as she remained calm and collected then fell asleep on me I am taking this as a sign that she is very happy to be styled by her mummy.

There were a variety of toys and games in the hall but I'm happy that for now we have enough. I've no idea what Mr C will bring my daughter. She has her first Christmas stocking ready and waiting though.

Books covered the tables in the foyer, but again we've a good range of those.

The only thing that my daughter is currently missing is sleeping bags from 12 months of age. I picked up 0-6, 6-12 and 18 months onwards but somehow skipped out on a few months so it's off to the next sale we go.

Insider Tips for Shopping at an NCT Sale


Here are my insider tips for shopping at an NCT Sale

·         Volunteer - If you can volunteer then do so. This way you will be certain to get first dibs on things and if you are a seller then you won’t pay so much.

·         List - Write out a list of what things you would like to get your children so you can head straight for those

·         Layout – Know your way around. Some places are helpfully arranged into different rooms for different things and even if it’s just one room you may well discover there is a plan

·         Children - Leave the little ones at home so you can concentrate on the task in hand

·         Top Sellers - Consider what things may sell really quickly and head straight for those if you are looking for something in particular

·         Environment – Yes shopping second hand is great for the environment but bringing your own bags will make it even more so

So what are you waiting for check out the NCT Sales in your area and go grab a bargain. Do let me know your thoughts on shopping at an NCT sale below.

This post was originally linked up with the following linkys: Mummy & Us, Twinkly Tuesday, Let Kids Be Kids, Tried and Tested and Fartglitter.

Comments

  1. We love NCT Sales and also reviewed one local to us last year! They are great but it's a bit like 'elbows at dawn' ;) sounds very fruitful we always shop for the year ahead and store items x #TriedTested #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the reason why I'd volunteer. That and it's in aid of a good cause.

      Delete
  2. I am a spare of the moment shopper I am bad at planning and I dont have space to store them #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you are in a position you feel you can splash the cash

      Delete
  3. I have to admit I've never braved an NCT sale! We were lucky that the girls have cousins almost exactly a year old than my eldest so had stuff passed down and then Jessica's stuff has been passed down to Sophie so we have lots of stuff for a couple of years ahead! Glad you managed to find some of the things you wanted for your daughter :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you were very lucky. We've had a few family hand me downs but not clothes wise.

      Delete
  4. I always buy bigger clothes ahead especially when it's on sale because kids quickly outgrow their clothes... Hope you bought some nice stuff for your little girl. #mummyandus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did for the first half of the year that is.

      Delete
  5. NCT sales are great. Even though my boys are older now, I still host the bag stuffing in advance of our local NCT sales #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done that. Just the volunteering on the day.

      Delete
  6. Good grief- you're so organized. I'm usually rushing around for presents on Black Friday! What did you put in her stocking?
    My tot is one now and his favourite things are books, simple building materials and a wooden Noah's Ark set. But if he had the choice he'd rather play with my toothbrush.

    Thanks so much for linking up to #fartglitter xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing yet - I'm still looking. Now those are great ideas.

      Delete
  7. That's just what we used to do...NCT sales for the next size clothing (particularly for my twins). They are great sales, children go through so many clothes so quickly.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do. My daughter though seems to be a month behind. Her 6-9 month pjs still don't fit snug though and she's 8 months.

      Delete
  8. glad she is happy to be styled by her mummy. Sounds like you are on top of things. If I see something on super sale I will buy ahead, otherwise I just wait as I'm running out of storage space lol, thanks for sharing #mummyandus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I think I'm like a duck calm on top paddling furiously away under the water.

      Delete
  9. Ahhhh! Her first Christmas! How exciting! We bought my son a jumperoo for his first Christmas. It was the best present we ever got him and entertained him for hours!!
    #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, Thanks for the idea but my daughter has already received one of those.

      Delete
  10. I have still yet to visit an NCT sale! I have always meant to but they always seem to fall a week before payday haha! I do believe you can get a right bargain though! I must check it out one day! I can't remember what we got Zach for his first birthday haha! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should get round to trying one out. They go up to 8 years old around here.

      Delete
  11. I have only been to 1 NCT sales and that was as a volunteer for a stall (not for NCT) when I was living in London. There was hardly anybody turned up. I think it was because it was such a nice sunny day though. I too shop a year ahead. But we've been lucky with Evelyn as we have a friend who just give us stuffs of her daughter's out grown clothes. They have saved us a lot of money! :) #letkidsbekids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you are very lucky. I'm not in that situation.

      Delete

Post a Comment