Maternity Mondays: Having Her Own Agenda

On the 16th June I had an appointment at the hospital to discuss the arrival of my second daughter by c section. It was deemed necessary to have major surgery due to the creatinine level of my kidneys being very high. As I’d had the same operation before with my first born mainly due to the fact she was not growing well I knew what to expect and was admitted later that evening.

Admiring my Daughter

As day turned to night I tried to get some sleep. It was very quiet in the ward I was in and I was relieved I could get some rest. As I tried to drift off to sleep on my left hand side so baby could get all the oxygen needed I was made increasingly aware of pain building up. I tried getting up and moving around but the discomfort grew and I couldn't throw it off. If I could describe it I would say it was similar to that of period pain but as I later discovered even a pain relief tablet that would have usually worked didn't come anywhere close to touching the pain I was in.

So there I was doubled up in pain and having a rough night. I was hooked up to ctg monitors that clung to my body and showed little one having an all night party! The contractions were so clear on the monitor it was deemed necessary to test and see if my waters were about to break. This experience was very similar to having a smear test.

I feel for the medical staff that have to do these things but to them I guess it’s just another day at the office and they forget we are experiencing this for the first time. 

It turned out that the entrance was completely sealed though and I could do nothing but ride out the contractions. The medical staff told me to breathe through the experience so I tried thinking about them as if they were waves running through my body. Goodness knows how people practice hypnobirthing and the like when confronted with these sensations.

Did your little one question your birth plan? 

Marvellous Mondays badge by Hello Archie



My Random Musings

Reflections From Me

Comments

  1. You never quite know what your baby will do or how your body will react to pregnancy and Labour do you? Sounds like you did really well to breath thru the contractions, it's amazing what your own body can do. And at the end you have a beautiful baby girl to admire x
    #mmbc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. I felt like I had to grin, bare it and go with it. Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  2. Ah babies always have their own ideas, it is like they forgot to read the book. Neither of my girls played ball either but I am just grateful that they arrived safe and sound. I guess that is the best we can hope for, it is wondeful that your little beauty arrives safe and well too xx #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true they like to make us wonder what's going to happen next and worry.

      Delete
  3. Just one last party mum before I come out! Glad she arrived safely #mmbc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - they do like to keep us on our toes

      Delete
  4. Little party girl! So cute!! (even if it didn't feel cute at the time). They do have their own agenda for sure! #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I warned her if she carried on we'd call her Monkey ;)

      Delete
  5. How gorgeous, glad she arrived safely. They definitely have their own idea on how to do things, don't they? Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helena, I totally missed you having your little one, hope it all went smoothly in the end. Over here they don't do things like birthing plans, antenatal classes or even pain reliving drugs (well they may do now, but they didn't back when I had our two). I think a birth plan would have confused me, as I'm not very good at making decisions.

    Hope you are all keeping well.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. If the pain I experienced was the beginning of labour I can understand why people desire pain relieving drugs. I feel for you.

      Delete
  7. Cheeky monkeys aren't they? Ruining your best plans 🙈🙈🙈 congrats though...beautiful baby xx #marvmondays

    ReplyDelete
  8. Babies absolutely have their own ideas! Your daughter is beautiful - congratulations #marvmondays

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment