I Can’t Get No Sleep!

As I lay there trying to get some much needed sleep as I've not had much since having our youngest. I was joined by someone small – yes my eldest had found me and decided to fall asleep across me. I'm not sure how long she slept by my side but the next thing I knew when I woke up was she had been put to sleep in her own bed by her dad and I missed her.


Master Bedroom

Now I understand the risks of co-sleeping and with both children having their own beds I don’t know why they would want to share one. So I don’t encourage this concept but being sought out by my eldest feels truly special and if she does appear by my side I will treasure the moments.

The youngest also appears to love affection as she likes to snuggle on my chest with her feet tucked right up underneath her. However, she also picks her moments! If I hold her during the day she tries to stay awake but last night saw her calling out not for a new nappy, nor a feed for she’d just had that no she wanted to be held tight and fall asleep on me rather than in her Moses basket!

This would be lovely during the day but at night when I'm trying to sleep it’s frustrating. I'm getting up every three hours in order to make fresh warm bottles of milk. These need time to cool down too before I try and prise her mouth open so she drinks. Even then I may have to change her so she wakes enough to consume any! So her calling out after I've done the feeding just so she can co-sleep with me too is testing!

I forget how old my eldest was when she first slept through the night but I do recall someone saying that weight had something to do with it. After several months she graduated from our room to that of her own and has slept there ever since. She's now in her toddler sleigh bed which is fantastic for me as I recover from a c-section and she gains independence. So far she hasn't strayed far from it in her sleeping bags. 

Toddler Bed
My youngest may want to sleep through the night now too but I dread to think what the outcome would be! She doesn't alert me to the fact she’s thirsty and needs regular drinks throughout the night and day due to my Diabetes. So at present we are both struggling to wake up and feed!   


Did you bottle feed? How did you find time to sleep?

Comments

  1. Argh, what a kerfuffle!! I breastfed but I definitely co-slept too. I don't think I'd have got any sleep otherwise. Mine slept on me loads, day and night. It's not forever, they all sleep in their own beds (with the odd visit) now at 2,5 and 6 :-) Hope someone going through something similar right now can give you some better tips! #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you had a lovely experience

      Delete
  2. I bottle fed briefly but I found it very tough, I'm lucky my partner did one feed a night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing does make it easier for sure

      Delete
  3. Oh what a nightmare, I have to say it's 13 years since I had a newborn and I have never forgotten that feeling of sleep deprivation that is on another level. I hope you work it all out soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one who needs their sleep so I totally agree

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness I really feel for you and remember well that terrible feeling of sleep deprivation that invades everything! I hope you can get some sleep soon! Take care, sending virtual hugs 🌸 Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime πŸŽ‰

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really recommend the perfect prep machine. It was our lifesaver when our chunky boy wanted feeding every hour or two during the night! Unfortunately he's now 14 months and doesn't need a feed but still insists on waking up :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder about the perfect prep machine however our midwife dissuaded us saying we'd waste a lot.

      Delete
  6. Ah this must be tiring and a bit all over for you! I breastfed so can't really offer any tips :-( I hope it's not for long lovely and you can all zzzz a bit. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. I am trying to take naps when my hubby gets in from work and he loves staying up later than me.

      Delete
  7. I breastfed my four so not sure I can help really but mine have all been awful sleepers and my 22 month old still doesn't sleep through the night. I had to co-sleep with him for months as he would choke on his back in his own bed and then e got used to coming in to snuggle. At the moment he will go to sleep in his own bed but be with me by about 3am. Good luck and thanks for linking to #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Charlotte that sounds so scary. I'm sorry you experienced that. Waking up to a little one by your side sounds lovely in contrast.

      Delete
  8. I'm feeling your pain, 3 years it took for my girl to sleep through the night. We tried everything. It became much easier when we tried to manage our sleep around her than manager her night feeds and sleep.

    We split the shift! Jack did the 12pm and 6.30am feed wheile I did the 3am feed. I had to go to bed around 9pm but it meant we both got a solid few house sleep. We were in a 1 bedroom and we both worked so co sleeping was unavoidable eventually.

    Sleep deprivation is the worst and we would have sold our soul just for one night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 Years Yikes! I think they do imagine the world revolves round them. Split shifts sounds fantastic.

      Delete
  9. Oh I remember those days like it was yesterday! So hard at the beginning. T was a fairly good sleeper in the early days I guess - only waking for his bottle every 3 hours, then every 5 and so on. He was "sleeping through" (if you can call midnight to 5am sleeping through!) from around 3 months and I thought we had a winner! Then teething and growth spurts and god knows what else happened so we had LOTS of night waking a between 6 months and, well now (he's 3 lol!). So I feel your pain.

    But I've never co-slept - apart from the times when he was about 2 and he kept coming into our room and lying between us when we were asleep lol! Sometimes my hubs would put him in bed with me in the mornings when he went to work when he was very tiny but I never slept really, it was just so I could physically rest a bit.

    Co-sleeping is great for some people but we are quite deep sleepers and it felt dangerous to us, and when he got older just very uncomfortable lol!

    I hope you get some more sleep soon xx

    PS one tip re night bottles. We would boil the water shortly before bed and when it cooled to the optimal temp for formula we put it in a thermos and took that upstairs with empty bottles with the pre-measured containers of formula and a jug of cold water for cooling down. Sounds a little complicated but worked well for us and meant we didn't have to go downstairs and start boiling the kettle in the night etc xx #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes those moments. I recall my daughter calling out as she got too hot and had her immunisations.

      Awww we have petite girls so I understand your thoughts over co-sleeping.

      Thanks for the tip I'll talk to hubby and see whether we can try that out.



      Delete
  10. I lived back in the day where it was acceptable to make bottles 24 hrs at a time, which made making one lot and sterilising once as well, and keeping them in the fridge until needed to warm.
    I never encouraged mine to come into our bed but they did at times and I enjoyed the cuddles. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh 24 hours at a time sounds good to me. Last year we were able to make bottles up and store them in the fridge for our eldest. This year that's no longer acceptable.

      I'm so with you regards cuddles. They are the best.

      Delete
  11. Hi Helena, nineteen years on I still remember the terrible trouble I had with my son sleeping through the night in that first year, and it was hard.

    I feel for you as we function so much better when we sleep properly, but being a Mum to a newbie that just doesn't happen. Fingers crossed that once your little one is old enough to go through the night without a bottle, she will do so happily, giving you a good nights rest.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember those nights very well! I co-slept with my little one which made things a little easier as I had a c-section so I didn't have to move a hell of a lot when the little one woke up during the night, saying that I was pretty lucky that because my little guy slept really well most nights. I do hope things ease up for you! #MMBC

    Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you must have felt having had a csection myself twice. I understand sleeping through has a lot to do with baby's weight.

      Delete

Post a Comment