How to Prepare for a Baby Gender Surprise and Choose Suitable Names

For some people they find out the gender and pick out names early on.  They decorate the nursery, pick out clothes and enjoy the progression of their pregnancy looking forward to the day on which they hold their newborn in their arms for the first time.

How to prepare for a baby gender surprise and choose suitable names


For both our girls though we decided to be surprised. At every scan we were told to look away when they took the measurements that may have shown something on the screen that indicated their gender and we were met by a number of people commenting how lovely it was to be having a surprise.

If I recall correctly it was my father who suggested we have a surprise first time round and on falling pregnant with our second we decided to continue this as if it were a tradition. When our eldest was born a number of people we met during her first year also had girls and so on hearing that a few people around me knew they were expecting baby boys I wondered whether I too was destined to have a baby boy second time round. Unlike my first pregnancy when I felt the pitter patter of little feet walking up and down my body this was non-existent second time round. I did however feel bloated and hubby told me I appeared bigger this time round. Thanks hubby, love you too!

Maternity Mondays: Surprise Sex and Suitable Names

So we went with neutral coloured clothing for our tiny bundles of mischief and joy. On seeing these gorgeous girls dressed in white many people assumed we had had boys. I was even asked by one physiotherapist as to how I was getting on with my first born whom they’d assumed was a boy only for me to retort ‘she’s wearing a dress’ which brought about laughter by the other patients who’d come to see the physiotherapist following surgery. 

Hospital staff had the same problem when they visited my second born and even if politely corrected would return to saying ‘he’. One of the staff members who saw me weekly asked after her gender before saying “I knew you were going to have another girl“. I don’t know how she knew if we didn't maybe there’s something to be said by the shape of a baby bump? Then again my grandmother in law reckons she carried hers all the same and she had 3 boys and 1 girl.

One thing I truly knew for sure was that I was eager to get my daughter home and wearing lovely little girly things especially after seeing another mother produce lots of girly pieces for her newborn in the ward opposite me.

Maternity Mondays: Surprise Sex and Suitable Names


 As for names yes we batted several about but it wasn't until we’d met our daughters that we came to an agreement. Having worked in education previously a number of names were quickly dismissed as I had come across someone with a similar name.  So we took our time and thank goodness we don’t live in another country where there’s only three days to declare the name of your child to the registry office for we hadn't decided in that space of time. Many hospital staff asked me whether I’d decided on a name for my children and I felt guilty as I had not produced one but it had to be perfect and I needed it to be right after all they will have their names with them forever. The youngest’s name only came to us after we’d left hospital. Both these names incidentally appear in a baby names book that I’d forgotten to take into hospital with me. The first name also appears in my grandmother’s favourite film and the second is after my husband saw someone in hospital with that name.

Comments

  1. Ah, we had a surprise too and I was so glad - although I got the opposite! When he was dressed in mint green, whites and yellows people always called him 'she'. I would definitely have a surprise again if/when we have another, it made it so much more special for me not knowing the gender and also I find it a bit frustrating when you end up with ALL pink or ALL blue so I loved that everybody was forced to buy gender neutral things until he was born! We only had one name for a boy and it's after my Grandad so that was easy, don't think we were totally decided for a girl. My brother in law just had their third daughter and they hadn't got any girls names as they'd been sure they were having a boy (though they hadn't found out) and so it took them a few days, too! #fartglitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you got the opposite comments to me. I was tempted towards blue this time round instead of pink but then teal is my favourite colour. Lovely to name your child after a family member you must have loved.

      Delete
  2. I think if I had one boy and one girl already then I would of kept this baby as a surprise but I have two girls and I couldn't keep this one as a surprise! I was too impatient haha
    #MarvMondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is good to know if you're hoping to keep hold of some of the girls clothes

      Delete
  3. We didn't make the baby name "official" until I was in labor and delivery. It is so hard to pick a name!! Great job being surprised for both births. I am too much of a control freak so had to know ASAP for my pregnancy and even got a genetic test done so we would know early, but maybe next time around heh.
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my does that mean you were screaming their name?! ;)

      Delete
  4. My son, and only child, was named after his Daddy, so the name really wasn't a tough decision for us. It was something we'd talked about before even falling pregnant, and my husband wanted a jr. so that was that. I did find out what he was, but I really did know it all along-I just had a feeling. I know that being surprised must be an extra special feeling though, and it's something I want to do for #2!! Thanks for sharing <3 #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to have surprises on both occasions. I think everyone knew but us with our second.

      Delete
  5. thats lovely that you could do the suprise! I am inpaitent and wanted to know. Even though my boy was dressed in blue I still got how old is she comments. He must have a girly face! I had his name picked out before too. #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it depends on the situation for me. I can't stand waiting around for appointments these days.

      Delete
  6. I wanted a surprise with my daughter - a reward for the birth! I love to hear about others like yourself that have not found out their child's gender until they are born. I think it's lovely you waited the second time too as so many people find out to prepare their first child.

    I dress my daughter in a mix of colours so even at 17 months she occasionally gets referred to as 'he'. In my head she could never look like a boy but apparently to some people she does ;)

    #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being so young I am not even sure our daughter realised she was expecting to have a sibling.

      People once mistook my sister for a boy as she had short hair at the time.

      Delete
  7. I'm impatient, I always want to know the gender during scans... but for some people, it's great to have a surprise during delivery. Probably if I'll have the third one, I might decide to have it as a surprise as I already got a boy and a girl. #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did enjoy being surprised by my girls.

      Delete
  8. Oh I'm far to impatient for surprises hehe! I knew on both occasions.
    I had the names chosen too, both of the boys middle names have a meaning and are named after close family :)

    Thanks for joining in with #MMBC Hope to see you next week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely that the names have meanings and are family names too

      Delete
  9. We went for a surprise the first time but I wanted to know the second. Unfortunately my cheeky monkey wouldn't let us and we where blessed with our second girl. I'm with you on names though. It was the hardest choice! And the amount of times we would practice saying a name and shouting it out etc just to see how it felt was funny! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got visions of you stood on top of a hill shouting out names now.

      Delete
  10. I considered a surprise but my wife is waaay to impatient. Once we knew we had him named almost straight away, that's my planning coming through. What a gorgeous wee bundle!
    #fartglitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Gosh you really did plan everything out to the detail.

      Delete
  11. I was busting to find out with my first I really really wanted a girl and when they said she was a girl I kept working they had it wrong! The second we also found out was a girl, but the third we decided to have a surprise, I carried the exact same for all 3 even had the same cravings. Number 3 came out a boy, I asked for it not to be announced I wanted to discover for myself and would have been happy either way. But when I saw him I wasn't surprised it was 'oh yes hello I've been waiting for you all my life". I love all 3 of them, but I would not find out if I ever had another one. #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww bless love the fact you had one surprise and I bet you must have thought they may be a girl too right? I think if I had a third I'd be thinking along those lines

      Delete
  12. I did think about leaving it as a surprise, but then asked at the scan... only to be told that they couldn't tell due to the way the baby was lying. I bought boys sleepsuits and stuff as it was more gender neutral without being plain white (it seemed a bad idea...), so all the nurses kept asking if I'd been told I was expecting a boy. :) #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah so it as baby who wanted to surprise you hey ;) White things do not stay white for long.

      Delete
  13. Oh I have to plan! We found out we were having a girl. But I do like the idea of a surprise too. I especially like to be surprised on other people's babies haha #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning is great. There are many things that will suit both genders.

      Delete
  14. This is lovely! You are brave to have it all as a surprise. I couldn't do that! I really needed to know and plan it all. I am the one that booked an early gender scan so I can choose a name and start buying the clothes lol. I have 2 girls so that means that I was able to use the same things that I had for my first daughter so we didn't buy as much the second time around. Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. It is great to have you for the first time. Hope that you like it. Also thank you for joining us in the fb group! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The gender was less of a worry to me. The treatment for the Diabetes was the scary part. I'm with you when it comes to reusing/recycling as long as the things are in good condition. You're welcome looks like a great linky to be a part of.

      Delete
  15. Congrats again lovely! Even though we found out that we were having a boy at 20 weeks, we still struggled with baby names and only decided late on the day he was born on a final name. I can imagine teachers have a much harder job as you say! Glad you both managed to find the perfect name in the end :-) Thanks for sharing this on #MarvMondays. Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It sure is satisfying when you find the right name.

      Delete
  16. We haven't had a surprise either time - I couldn't wait to find out and it really helped us to know what we were having! Especially second time as Zach initially wanted a sister but has got his head around the fact he is getting a brother now! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased you found it of comfort to know.

      Delete
  17. I love the surprise, DD2 is now a week late and at this stage we do not know which sex she is having, 10 fingers and 10 toes will do nicely.
    I currently have six grandchildren, three of each, so either way it will make the numbers uneven.
    Back in my day it was not an option and I have to say I was not fussy which I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy and healthy is definitely the way to go. Certainly good if they have 10 fingers and 10 toes.

      Delete

Post a Comment