Red Dye at Night

Some readers may recall that my eldest Daughter was not to keen about the sand on the beach in France when we visited on our holiday but as with many things children do surprise us.

Buckets and spades on sand

Perhaps it was because it was a new texture under her feet and it was not solid ground. Maybe it was because it was a new experience or simply the fact that when we visited she was tired. Whatever the reason we can't know for sure. So imagine my surprise when last night inspired by Two Tiny Hands post I dyed some rice red and she put her feet in it!

eldest plays with red rice as youngest and I watch


We started out just handling the rice with our hands and sifting through it with small cooking utensils, she may even have eaten some of it and thrown a bit but we've got a wooden floor instead of carpet so it's very easy to clean up any spillages. Then a foot appeared! Slowly she placed her foot in the rice and then the other. I'm not sure what went through her head that evening nor do I understand why she did it but I think that it's great that she decided to be adventurous and try things out.

Ok so the rice may be a bit thicker than sand and most places that you visit don't have red sand, but I think if we were to visit the beach next year she would enjoy it more.

Have your children surprised you lately?

Comments

  1. Yes, all the time. My little one hated sand in the beginning too and would hold one of her feet up when placed on it. She hated grass too but through distracting her with toys or songs while she was standing on it she eventually got used to it. They can be so strange sometimes but it must be hard for them dealing with a constantly changing world when they are so little #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we forget what's routine to us is new to them

      Delete
  2. Aww! Bless her. When my eldest was small she hated sand under her feet too. Our first trip to the beach was a disaster. lol The rice is such a good idea x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son used to hate getting his hands dirty - so last year I put some acrylic paint in shaving foam and marbled it around, he loved putting his hands in it! Sarah #WhateverTheWeather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an interesting concept will have to try it. I fear she may try to eat it though!

      Delete
  4. It is lovely when they do things that you don't expect isn't it? You can't beat dyed rice :-) #FamilyFun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah bless her! It's fab when they surprise you and make you proud. Really cool idea too. Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son didn't like sand till he was around 5, and my two year old hates it too. They both seem to hate anything that sticks to them (although you wouldn't know it to see the state of them when they eat!), rice is a good idea for getting them used to different textures though
    #FamilyFun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting maybe they change over the years

      Delete
  7. Its beautiful that you let her explore the rice with har hands and mouth, hopefully she will be happy to play in the sand next time. My littlest saw sand for the first time at 15 months old this summer and she didn't like it at first, its such a different feeling for them. I turned thirty this year and I still don't like sand, but I brave it for the children now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so. I hope you both get to love experiencing it together if not at least you can be happy in the knowledge that you agree on something.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the mention! Glad it was a positive sensory experience for your daughter. It's interesting seeing rice through someone else's eye! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son hates sand too - had a proper meltdown at the beach in France! Perhaps i should get him into this?! Thanks for the inspiration :-) Kimberly x #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea and how cool that she tried it out. Perhaps curiosity just got the better of her? Everything is a new experience to them at this age isn't it. Here's hoping the beach will be more favourable next time. Thanks for sharing this at #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah perhaps. Little ones sure are curious aren't they.

      Delete
  11. Well done to your daughter for testing it out! I can understand the sand thing, as I don't mind bear feet in the sand, but the feeling of sand on your feet when you're no longer at the beach is horrible! #Whatevertheweather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why she decided it was a good thing to put her feet in it sure wasn't my idea I just went with her.

      Delete
  12. It is funny what things they do and don't like. Well done to her for giving the rice a go.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment