What is Geocaching?

It has come to my attention that some people reading my blog don’t know what geocaching is. So without further ado I thought I’d write this post. Here is the definition and our experiences of this activity.

My feet and Dr Seuss Quote


Geocaching is similar to treasure hunting you download coordinates from the dedicated website, find the container outside, sign its log book and record the ones you've found on the computer when you get back home.  

Geocaches come in a range of shapes and sizes from film canisters to ammo cans and more interesting cache containers such as a case originally used for protecting bananas to this jolly character. 

The Eggman Cache on a log

Geocaching originated in America but we've yet to go there as a family. We have found ones in Holland, France and the UK. There are traditional, multi-cache, virtual, letterbox, event, mystery, webcam, earthcache, whereigo and labcaches hidden throughout the world for people to find. Many of these help to teach you about the world in which we live. This one made us consider Puddingstones.

Puddingstone and me in winter

As long as you've got a good torch you can generally go in search of geocaches 24/7. Some geocaches of course need you to locate items that are only available during certain times making them more challenging. There’s a church near us that never seems open so we can’t locate the items necessary to help us search for its associated geocache.

Ammo can geocache in a tree

We have been doing the activity for several years and so far have managed to locate around 10,000. Sadly not all our searching has resulted in finds we've had our fair share of did not finds (dnfs) too. The most frustrating times have been when you have done a whole series and there’s one little cache that despite the time and effort we've put into finding it we just haven’t been able to locate it.

Daughter crouched down with a geocache next to a tree

As my hubby says geocaching is walking with a purpose you are actually exploring parts of the world and exercising the mind. From time to time you may bump into someone doing the same thing but they may pretend that they are slug watching instead. That’s why geocache meets are great as you get to meet like minded individuals and crack puzzles together.

When did you last get out of the house and explore the great outdoors?

Comments

  1. We love geocaching but the last couple of times we have failed to find them #Whatevertheweather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still not tried this but I must. My son will be 5 by next summer so I think we'll give it a go. We are always out with the dog so I'm sure we will pass some all the time! Thank you for joining the #weekendblogshare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you do. Have a look at the website.

      Delete
  3. Ah i have never heard of this! Sounds really interesting and amazing to find something. I might give this a go as love getting out! Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x

    ReplyDelete
  4. we did this last year. Was lots of fun. haven't done for a while but will be loading it up next time we are out and about
    #whatevertheweather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Helena, we've come across geo caching before but never actually done it. We signed up once but then never got round to going and really should. I love your husbands way of describing it as walking with a purpose - thats great! Emily #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true - I now can't understand just aimless rambling or worse a treadmill

      Delete
  6. Wow 10000!! That's a lot! We've not done it yet but maybe will when my daughter is older. A good excuse to get outdoors and do some exercise. #FamilyFun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this sounds like such a good way of getting people out the house and being active outside. I will certainly try this one day! Thanks for sharing with us at #familyfun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great way to get the kids outdoors for sure.

      Delete
  8. Hi Helena, 10,000 geocaches sounds like a number to be proud of. And having to mark a geocache as a dnfs must be quite frustrating. It does sound like a fun thing to do, like your husband said it's walking with a purpose.

    Thank you for linking up to the #MMBC.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is frustrating but gives us a reason to return. Usually they are the ones closest to a road which is odd.

      Delete
  9. We love getting outdoors and exploring but have never tried Geocaching before.
    Perhaps it's about time we did :)

    Thanks so much for being part of #MMBC. See you Monday :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember doing this a couple of years ago as a work building relationships kind of exercise and I really enjoyed it!! I will be definitely be taking the girls when they are a little older - it is like a huge treasure hunt! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow 10000 Helena! That is amazing. We really have only just got going ourselves. We have 27 finds now. We're using the app and the free version so can only pick up the easy caches. I think I am going to ask for a proper gps device for my Christmas so I can do it offline. I haven't plucked up the courage for meets yet and wouldn't know how to find them. I'm going to keep pushing to find more now, 10000 is the aim!! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A proper gps will see you further. The mobile phone batteries dont last long. Ah we've set the bar hey? ;)

      Delete
  12. We have a cottage in our village called puddingstone. Geo caching seems like a great idea to get out and about. We've found them by accident, so have not had the fun of cracking a puzzle. Maybe one day. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. I wonder if it was named after them. They are lots of fun and definitely encourage you to get out.

      Delete
  13. We have never done this before, looks fun!

    Coming along from #CountryKids...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I follow the lovely mud and nettles and she loves it now read your blog think I must give it a go #subdaybest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mud and Nettles is a wonderful blog. Yes do try it out.

      Delete
  15. We are always out walking with the kids, and keep meaning to look into geocaching as I think it would give the kids something to do on our walks, rather than just walking! 10,000 is an amazing number!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the things that we enjoy doing outdoors!! #whatevertheweather

    ReplyDelete
  17. Geocahing always looks like such a fun family activity, I've never managed to get out and enjoy it with my kids! It's great that you all enjoy it as a family, I bet it feels like hunting down treasure. I look forward to reading more about your adventures with geocaching in the future.

    Thanks for linking up with me on #CountryKids.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We discovered geocaching earlier this year (we live in Cyprus) and I was amazed to find so many in our area. Its been a great way to discover new places and I loev the comment 'walking with a purpose' as we've never been walking much beforehand unless there was an actual reason!
    #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to read about them being in Cyprus. I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

      Delete
  19. I have never tried geocaching but I'm sure my children are at the age to enjoy it as they love the treasure trails we do.

    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do treasure trails differ a lot from geocaching trails?

      Delete
  20. We've just started trying out geocaching this year although our DNFs considerably outweigh our finds so far - I'm hoping that the balance will get better as we get more experienced at hunting them out. It is such a lovely way of making a walk out and about that little bit more interesting. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that jolly cache container, I have never found one as inteersting as that! I adore geocaching - it is such an amazing family activity. We rocked up 4 DNFs the other day though which was very frustrating, but we did manage to get one that we had been hunting for for a year (almost to the day)! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is so cute. Think he was called the egg man. Ah 4 that definitely would frustrate us. Great that you found the elusive one.

      Delete
  22. I love the sound of geocaching, it sounds so much fun! Thanks for linking up to #SundayBest, we hope to see you again this weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't geocached in ages, but I know there are some here in our town, I just need to find them! Thanks for linking up to #Whatevertheweather :) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah I've always wondered what it was. I will definitely try this when my kids are old enough to understand. Thanks so much for joining us at #SundayBest this week, we'd love to see you there again tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment