Our River Ramble

Last weekend we wrapped up warm and headed outside for some fresh air. Sometimes our adventures see us returning to places we've been before and this was no exception.


Rather than tracing our steps though the route had us walking in the opposite direction. We parked next to the river and soon heard familiar voices. It turned out that we weren't alone as other geocachers were out and about too. They’d just finished the route we were embarking on so we didn't talk for long before heading in opposite directions.

The route saw us walking alongside the river and through fields with crops growing tall. Originally my husband had suggested that we take the buggy but I'm so glad we didn't and resorted to the baby carriers instead.  Our eldest also walked a fair distance and we've come to realise that when she grows tired she will just stand completely still. My husband had begun the journey carrying the youngest and she was very content snuggled up next to him. With the eldest growing weary though it was time for a change and he took to carrying the eldest as I took up carrying our youngest who fell asleep on me for the rest of the journey.

Hubby remarked that before our children we would have flown round the course but the children have slowed us down. This is not a bad thing as it makes us more mindful and appreciative of our surroundings but when it’s getting really cold outside and we’re wading through fields its becoming more of a chore to me!


Do you find the seasons make you change your activities? 

Comments

  1. Yes I can imagine carrying two little ones around would indeed slow you up. Like you say though its not all bad and you can enjoy what is right in front of you with your two special ones. Thanks for sharing this with us at #Familyfun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do but it's not a bad thing unless you are experiencing very cold weather and want to get in the warmth pronto.

      Delete
  2. Yes Helena were starting to see how having a toddler will slow us down . Robert is walking now and loves to walk hand in hand with us. It's sooo cute but sooo slow!! He is happy as ever to be Carried for now but we will definitely be approaching adventures differently soon! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww bless him. I will be reading to see how you get on.

      Delete
  3. We've definitely slowed down since having a child. It's no bad thing though, it's great to see the world through their curious eyes! #whatevertheweather

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture. Kids certainly slow things down! I really need to give geocaching a go.
    #Bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely route for a walk, we love walking alongside the canals over here too :)

    Thanks so much for being part of #MMBC. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to think walking near water is particularly cold.

      Delete
  6. Now our littlest is wanting to walk more rather than stay in the carrier I have found us getting slower too. It was so much easier when it was me walking and carrying the 2 year old, than when he wanted to walk too! Still it's great to get them out walking and enjoying the countryside! Thanks for linking up to #Whatevertheweather :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah definitely a bit of fresh air does everyone good.

      Delete
  7. Baby carriers are a saviour on walks like this. We often have the buggy or no buggy debate, but off track it's much easier to just carry them. Our toddler usually ends up being carried too!
    Alana x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Yes they can only walk a little distance.

      Delete
  8. Looks like lovely scenery. I'm lucky that Monkey is older now, and a really good walker #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ours are now at the age where I have to get them to slow down and take in their surroundings-and wait for me and my knackered hip to catch up!

    Beautiful photo of the river :)

    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wise decision to go for the carrier and not the buggy, fields and rough ground make buggies a hindrance. It sounds like you went quite a way with the children, I do feel for you carrying both by the end, keep it up though, before you know it they will both be running ahead of you and you'll be glad you encouraged them to enjoy country walks and hunting for hidden treasure. It looks a very pretty stretch of countryside even if it was hard going underfoot at times.

    Thank you for joining me for #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think our walk would have been cut dramatically short if we'd taken the buggy.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful picture! I find that I like to get out and do lots of Autumnal walks, I love the changing seasons. Thanks for linking up, please stop by again! #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it is lovely what nature can create. Yes the colours in the environment are spectacular.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful view across the river. I always find carriers much easier than the buggy for walks like this - but it does make it slow and tiring when you end up carrying two children! The slow pace is good for noticing your surroundings more though. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Daddy can cope for a little while ;) That's true.

      Delete
  13. I agree with you but the opposite way around. I prefer walking in the colder months as I hate being hot and sticky. But I love the feeling of getting back home to a nice hot cup of tea after a long crisp walk. I do find myself appreciating the smaller things as the children spot interesting plants and creatures close to the ground which I would otherwise have missed on a walk before kids. Thank you for linking up with #ChasingNature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes hot and sticky isn't pleasant but neither is freezing.

      Delete
  14. Autumnal walks are so lovely! And your photograph of the water is absolutely stunning!
    Thanks for joining in with #ChasingNature :) <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment