How I Transformed a Top Into a Bag

This drawstring bag started out life as a drawstring top all the way from Australia. It was a present for my eldest daughter from my auntie who lives there. My daughters have never worn it though as I feared the drawstring mechanism being around their neck.

My Daughters' Drawstring Bag


Rather than the girls not get any use out of it at all I thought that I’d turn it into a bag. In this way it could come to have multiple uses from storing pyjamas to keeping together puzzle pieces or become a prop in fancy dress. There are numerous ways in which to use it as a bag.

Components For Sewing The Bag


Here is how I transformed the top into a bag.

  • Turn the top inside out
  • Pin together the bottom of the top
  • Sew along the bottom edges of the top
  • Remove the pins
  • Turn the top the right way round and you have a bag
So there you have it the girls now have a drawstring bag that will be treasured.

What have you made recently?




Diary of an Imperfect MumMum Muddling ThroughDear Bear and Beany

Comments

  1. Wow that's ingenious!
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a genius idea! how have i not even thought of doing this? #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such an easy transformation! I love the print, it's really cute, and much better to get some use of it! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Yes I didn't want to throw it away as there's still life in it

      Delete
  4. Oh what a fab idea and that is a beautiful fabric so makes a great bag! Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love post's like this. I haven't always been crafty but recently I've become more interested. I made Rory's first Halloween costume (https://www.instagram.com/p/BMPP1nKB9V6/?taken-by=mommyandrory) which I was pretty impressed with so I think I might give this one a go!! Thanks for sharing #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can make a costume than you can easily do this

      Delete
  6. I love a reuse project. So much better than wasting it #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely straightforward transformation. Much better to have something that will be used than not. I shall be rummaging through Clio's dras now for tops with a drawstring top!

    Thank you for sharing with me on #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea - I love this! x
    #MakeItLinky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is so clever! Would never have thought of this. A brilliant idea! #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good idea! And a nice quick make too #makeitlinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes it was. I'm now wondering whether I should have added an interior lining too.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely idea to change its use, I would never think to do this. Sounds easy enough too. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. If you can sew on a button it's as simple as that.

      Delete
  12. That bag is so pretty and what a lovely idea to turn the top into a bag. Sounds like it was quite a simple process too :-) #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic idea! And a great way to bring new life to an item! #MakeItLinky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment