How to Make a Windsock

Sometimes children come to you presenting their recent find. Usually in the case of my daughter this is a book, a toy or something she’s found in the garden such as a snail shell. On this particular day she came to me with the cardboard roll left over from storing paper towels. I’d recently seen one being used as the body of a wind sock in April's edition of Mother & Baby magazine and knew we had the rest of the materials scattered around the house. So I gathered up all the components and set to work on the creation.

Windsock Components

To create this little windsock you will need a cardboard roll, scissors, coloured tissue paper, tape and sticky backed paper.


First of all I took to cutting strips of coloured tissue paper and taped them to the end of the roll so they could blow freely in the wind. Then I covered the roll with sticky backed paper and cut it to size. That is really all that went into the making of our windsock but if your little one loves stickers, washi and glitter glue too then you could make yours even more elaborate. My girls are at an age where they can’t use scissors but eldest could have painted the roll under my supervision. 

Windsock at work

As you can see it worked really well in the wind so much so that we were aware it may fly off! This little project is a great way to teach children about the wind and the colours.  

If you are home schooling then I can see this lesson being easily drawn out with a reading of the delightful fairytale The Three Little Pigs. Sadly this is one book we don’t have in our possession at present but it is now on my radar to make sure I get.

What have you created with your children recently?


Two Tiny HandsCuddle FairyRun Jump Scrap!Diary of an Imperfect MumDear Bear and BeanyMum Muddling Through

Comments

  1. Cute! Nice and easy too. Might do this with the boy, he'd like that #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love this idea. Will be making one with my grandchildren.
    Great post.
    #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe this is something we've not yet made here with the holiday guests, it would be a great one for a windy day and perfect for my preschool children in term time. Thank you for the idea, and we have the Tree Little Pigs book!

    Thank you for sharing with me on #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! Hope it doesn't blow away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's brilliant! I'm really looking forward to making things like this with my daughter when she's older. #BestandWorst

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet they had so much fun making them. So pretty in the wind #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Will try and make one with our kitchen towel tube! x
    #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really clever and effective! It's funny where the inspiration comes from!! Definitely get some wind! ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww how cute! will save it for when we move out of the garden less flat!! #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome idea! I'm pinning this for later to make with my little girl. Thanks for sharing with #coolmumclub xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really fun and I love the colours :-) Something for when my little one sleeps! Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, my son used to call the windsock at the airfield near us, a 'carrot in the sky'. #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute and easy craft! I think my son would really enjoy this (with a little bit of help from me!) Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a brilliant idea. Love how you've linked up learning and the little pigs. Will have to make one! #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
  15. My son loves making anything and everything he can out of toilet rolls so will love this. Thanks #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! I'll be making one of these with my daughter no doubt! Thanks for sharing! #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a lot of fun and my kids would love it. They are huge fans of the three little pigs x #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a fun idea! So simple, I like the suggestion of linking in with the three little pigs too! x
    #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely craft idea and a nice simple one too. I think Holly would love to make this and then have it out in the garden. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow thats really cool and in windy england perfect!!
    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a simple but effective craft project to do with kids! It's been super windy round here lately too, so it must be getting a fair bit of use! #SharingTheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, what a fab idea. A great way to be creative and it would be perfect for the windy weather we are having at the moment #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea, so easy! Will definitely have to give this a try xx #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bookmarking this to try! Defo one for our Brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks like so much fun! I am going to try this with the kids! #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment