Strolling Around Brightwell-cum-Sotwell

The company, fresh air and witnessing the beauty in nature were but a few benefits of getting outside on Sunday and exploring more of our county.

Strolling Around Brightwell-cum-Sotwell


Ok so Sunday didn't go quite as planned, hubby wanted to do a 3 mile walk near Reading and the girls had both acquired colds! So we spent the morning relaxing before heading outside in the warm sunshine and driving over to Brightwell-cum-Sotwell.

Strolling Around Brightwell-cum-Sotwell

We parked up and headed across a very busy road before beginning an ascent up hill. I dislike hills with a passion and recently struggled climbing up a hill in Faringdon with a Folly on it being full of cold at the time. However, being on the mend now I slowly but surely climbed up with our youngest on my back and we were treated to picturesque views of the countryside. There is even a Bronze Age Round Barrow on top of the hill but we didn't climb right to the centre to see it.

Strolling Around Brightwell-cum-Sotwell


We use a gps when we are out and about. Not only does this enable us to see the names of points of interest. For example ‘castle fort’ which made me wonder whether Wittenham Clump had once been the base for a beautiful castle. But it also provides us with a way in which to see the designated footpaths that a farmer has not marked out on their land. The main reason why we don’t use a phone instead of a gps though is that the batteries just don’t last if you go on a long walk in the countryside.

On Sunday there were only 4 geocaches along the stretch of path we covered.  We could have extended our walk further but our eldest had decided that it was a good idea to scatter her belongings (hat and water bottle) along our walk! So we retraced our footsteps and found them.

Where have your travels taken you?

If you like this then please considering pinning this x




<Two Tiny HandsCuddle FairyDiary of an Imperfect MumDear Bear and BeanyUntold MorselsCountry Kids from Coombe Mill

Comments

  1. We have tried geocaching a few times but I am not that great at actually finding them; just their general location. Looks like a beautiful day for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly have been blessed with lovely sunny days here. Sorry to read that you struggle to find the geocaches.

      Delete
  2. We love a good walk and wow you had some beautiful sunshine. Like the idea of the GPS would i think help keep my boys interest, though they are happy when they find large sticks bloggerclubuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we've been treated to some wonderful weather recently. It's warmer outdoors than inside and you definitely get to see a lot more.

      Delete
  3. Fellow geocachers! We love geocaching it's fantastic to do with kids. They always walk further when there is a geocache involved. #FarawayFiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do. Our two year old always seems delihted in finding 'cache'.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great walk. I'm interested that you always walk with a gps. We've never used one and don't use our phones either. If we don't know the area we usually take a pathfinder map. Thanks for sharing on #FarawayFiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture of your daughter with that big stick! Looks like a beautiful place to walk. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you for the compliment

      Delete
  6. OK I need to know more about this geocaching. Sounds interesting. Always good to get out and about when you feel under the weather. Thanks for joining us on #FarawayFiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a post all about my definition of geocaching right here on my blog. Yes the warmer weather has certainly boosted our spirits.

      Delete
  7. I have never done geocaching but there are so many people raving about it that i might consider it when Ben is older! Sounds like you had a fab time #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did. Even though we didn't travel far.

      Delete
  8. Ah it sounds like a nice with some gorgeous views. I am glad to hear you're on the mend and able to get out and about, even if it is up blooming hills lol. Thanks for joining us at #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a beautiful walk! I'm with you on the hill front though - I've never been a fan! My son isn't great at walking at the moment, but is slowly improving - he made it up Devils Dyke the other week which I thought was quite impressive. Although he had to be carried for the downhill bit - wrong way round if you ask me! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never actually heard of Geocaching before this! My kids love treasure hunting, I need to check this out. #FarawayFiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've signed up to the Geocaching app but still not given it a go. I think I might try it as I love a treasure hunt. #farawayfiles

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful location. We've still got to give geocaching a try. My children love treasure hunts so I'm sure they'd love geocaching. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geocaching seems like a great motivator to your family walks and does take you to some beautiful spots. I can imagine the climb with your daughter on your back was quite hard, though it did make me smile that you had to retrace your footsteps and find the things thrown overboard! I hope you have many more country walks to come this summer.

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did you manage that with her on your back, you are superwoman! This Geocaching seems to be really taking off and seems great for families. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really keep meaning to get into geocaching with Monkey at 5 I think he's probably old enough now to enjoy it! Looks like some beautiful views! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a beautiful place for a walk and finding geocaches along the way always makes a walk more interesting. I use my phone instead of a gps but I can see the benefits of using a gps instead. Love the photo of your eldest with the sticks :-) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww what a lovely day for geocaching! We have a geocache near here and this reminded me to check it out to see if there are new visitors =)

    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment