Fingerprinting in the Garden

I'm not sure what is going on with the weather this summer. You'd assume that the sun would be out everyday but this is not the case and do we really believe the weather forecasters reports after one particular weather man got it wrong. As a family we try to prepare for every weather scenario and hubby and I have been on walks throughout the year and witnessed pretty much all that Britain can throw at us.  

Fingerprinting in the Garden

However, while we may be able to walk in these weathers I'm not sure art in them would work out. So when the sun appeared above our heads recently we decided to get out into the garden while baby was napping and have some fun with some finger paints. I'm trying to teach eldest her colours and we have red, green, yellow and blue finger paints. I like to ask her which colour she would like to paint with and see if what colour she really wants matches with the colour word she has said. Sometimes she gets the word wrong but thats ok she's still young and learning. 

We have the Orchard Toys Postbox game and she's very good at matching up the letters with the colour coordinating postboxes. Of course she likes to test me sometimes to see if I'm watching by matching them up wrong but I'm confident she knows what she's doing. 

Fingerprinting in the Garden

Anyway I digress. So there we were outside with the paints and an old canvas that was headed to landfill for the artist in residence (eldest) had scribbled on it. I did the colour exercise with the eldest and tried to suggest to her we use only our finger tips picking up a tiny bit of paint at a time but she had other ideas. Her fingertips soon led to painting with the whole hand and even her feet decided to get in on the action. As you can see it turned out to be quite a messy session which also led to part of the lawn turning red at one point! 

Fingerprinting in the Garden

Applying different body parts made me think of aboriginal art. I bought a book on the Aboriginal Dreamtime Tales called Tjarany Roughtail when I visited my relations out there a long time ago now so when the girls are older we will enjoy reading them together I'm sure.

Fingerprinting in the Garden

For now we are happy to show off our artistic efforts to our sister and have lots of fun being messy. 

Fingerprinting in the Garden

What activities have you been up to in the garden this Summer?


Whimsical Mumblings Post Comment LoveNaptime NatterThe Tale of MummyhoodCountry Kids from Coombe Mill

Comments

  1. It looks like you had such fun. What a great piece of artwork. We haven't painted yet during the holidays. I think we need to x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly loves to get the paint out. x

      Delete
  2. Kids seem to be enjoying the fun time with paints. PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do although baby would try eating it all!

      Delete
  3. This is a fab idea! We love being outside and taking the paints out would mean much less clearing up inside! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It sure is easier to paint outside. x

      Delete
  4. Ah this is lovely. My little boy hates getting messy, no idea why but baby loves it and when the paints are out she has it everywhere. Fun way to learn colours! #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's funny how little ones go through different phases. My eldest hated sand at one point.

      Delete
  5. A lovely way to learn colours, they love getting messy don't they lol #blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love a bit of art it he garden. I think sometimes it is nice to let children take the lead on how the session will go, learning colours and making a pretty canvas may appeal to our organised adult mind, but a little all feet and hand messy play was clearly what the girls had in mind and I bet they had a lovely time. I actually rather like the finished effect, I hope you have rescued the canvas now to keep for a while. Old sheets and white duvets are great for garden painting too if you get another chance.

    thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful piece of art! Love the colours and the method in which is was painted! I think I might try this with mine - if we ever get a decent weather day. #BlogCrush

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this artwork looks fabulous and I'd happily display it on the wall. It is so nice when the kids have made it and it is personal. Mich x #Countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last time we did finger painting I ended up using my bottom!!! It's great messy fun :) popping over from #CountryKids x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a lovely craft to do on a sunny day and the canvas at the end looks so beautiful and colourful. Definitely a hanger-uper! #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can well imagine she had the best of fun finding different ways to move the paint on the canvas. Two of my children loved doing this kind of art work. The other would have run a mile. She's taking art GCSE, so I guess we all find art that suits us.Fabulous to be able to do it outside. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love painting in the garden. It's so much fun and I don't have to worry when the paint seeps over the edges of whatever we're painting ;) thank you for sharing your post with #Blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  13. The weather does like to make things difficult for us doesn't it! We love getting creative 0 finger painting looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks a great sensory experience as well as a great way to learn colours. The weather really has been up and down hasn't it. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is exactly the same experience that I had with finger painting. You start with the fingers and then the hand... Great idea to do it in the garden, I hope that your lawn recovers!!

    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't beat painting outside in the garden (although sadly the weather hasn't been very amenable with regards to this!) Looks like your eldest had fun with her finger/hand/foot print painting :-) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love doing painting with my eldest and we often venture into the garden to do it the summer too as we dont have to worry so much about the mess. Your little girl has made quite the masterpiece there, you should get it up on the wall xx #blogcrush

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great fun! I love how proud your daughter looks of her masterpiece! #blogcrush

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cute is she! Brilliant! She looks so proud! We've chosen this for our make of the week - thanks for linking up #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's pretty cool - love the painting. She does look super proud of it too (rightly so!) Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant artworks! What a fun idea to do it in the garden. Thanks for linking up #MakeItLinky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment