How I Created a Place for My Girls to Learn and Play

My girls may well be a way off schooling but as every child starts learning right from the moment they are born I thought I'd make a designated area of our home a place to learn and play. Whether it's an introduction to books, arts and crafts or piecing together puzzles I'm hoping this will become an area that they grow to love and they can come and go as they please from. 

How I Created a Place for My Girls to Learn and Play


Our Handmade Bookcase


How I Created a Place for My Girls to Learn and Play

So how have I put together my girls educational and play area? The answer is plenty of storage and storing like with like. We are really lucky to have a very talented grandfather (a former wood work teacher) who custom made this bookcase for us. We've stored a number of things on it but most recently I've replaced things with the girls phonic books, our craft supplies and a number of educational puzzles and games. 

Ikea Traby Unit

How I Created a Place for My Girls to Learn and Play

Then there's our Ikea Traby Unit which we saved from landfill. I think we may need a bigger unit though but I'm unsure what to go with presently. Any suggestions are warmly welcomed here. I don't like the plastic drawer look so am tempted towards something wooden. 

Toy Storage

How I Created a Place for My Girls to Learn and Play

I have got into the habit of storing similar items together therefore the cuddly toys have one place that they are stored away. I like to leave this easily accessible to the girls so they can get to them. I've done the same with the girls arts and crafts although I've stored them up high and the books low down. 

The Girls' Table

How I Created a Place for My Girls to Learn and Play

Regular readers among you will notice that I moved the table and chairs from their bedroom to down here next to the kitchen. They originally had their ball pit here but after tripping over the balls that go everywhere we decided it should be moved to their bedroom. Thus freeing up the space for the table and chairs where they can do activities and a great area to sit down and eat and drink. 

The floor is not carpeted so any spillages can easily be mopped up. We had a bit of a paint accident but we are hoping to remove that with a little white spirit. 

Do you have a designated area in your home for the kids learning and play?

Naptime NatterThe PramshedCuddle FairyReal Mum Reviews

Comments

  1. Oh what a lovely little space for them! I wish we had the space for something like this in our home. #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a lovely and organised space. #fortheloveofBLOGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Looks perfect!
    #humpdaylinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely area you have set up. I am sure your girls must be loving it x
    #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this little area! We do lots of learning activities at home, but currently don't have a designated area for it - you've given me some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jade. I'm pleased to have inspired you.

      Delete
  6. Storage is definitely key and something I need more of! A trip to IKEA may well be needed! :) Sim xx #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh - so womderfully organised - I need this kind of organisation! #fortheloveofBLOG thanks for linking up xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be organised but have two mini whirlwinds

      Delete
  8. This looks so organised and everything is super easy to find. Your girls must love it! Thanks for linking up #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've yet to tell me their thoughts being 1 and 2

      Delete
  9. This is lovely, I love all the storage..I particularly like that ikea storage unit. I hope your little ones have lots of fun playing and learning in their new little zone xx #blogcrush

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah we are in the process of trying to sort ours out. I'm expecting baby number two so we are clearing out our study which will be my toddlers new room. It's small though so there won't be much space. We just have toys in the corner of the lounge but we were hoping to maybe put a conservatory on to make a bit of a play room with a desk for me (to blog!) and have the printer on etc. But we might not be able to get one now til next year. The storage struggle is real! Popping back from #FortheloveofBLOG a few weeks ago (sorry I had got behind that week) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about space. We could do with a conservatory here too.

      Delete

Post a Comment