Add a Little Sparkle to Your Christmas with Christmas Clay Decorations

With Halloween out of the way thoughts turn to Christmas! This has certainly been the case in our house as any creative activity up to the end of December is likely to have us feeling in the festive spirit. 

Add a Little Sparkle to Your Christmas with Christmas Clay Decorations


Our first activity this month sees us using the remaining air drying clay we used in creating our homemade pumpkin

Christmas Clay Decorations

To Create Homemade Christmas Clay Decorations You Will Need:

  • Air Dry Clay
  • A Rolling Pin
  • Festive Cookie Cutters
  • White Paint
  • Glitter
  • Glue
  • Paintbrush
  • Drinking Straw

Now for the Fun Part

Add a Little Sparkle to Your Christmas with Christmas Clay Decorations

Ask your toddler (child) to roll out the air drying clay with a rolling pin. Then talk about which cookie cutter they may like to use. Ask them to hold it in their hands and press it down to the table.As they do this should slice through the clay making a perfectly formed shape. Don't worry if they don't get this right the first time just roll it into a ball again and roll it out. then repeat the exercise. The clay does take a while to thoroughly dry. Once you are happy with your cut out shape pierce a hole in the centre at the top with a straw and leave the decoration to dry.

Add a Little Sparkle to Your Christmas with Christmas Clay Decorations

Once the decorations have thoroughly dried (we left them over night) paint them white on the fronts. Then leave the paint to dry and repeat the process of painting on the back of the decoration. Once the decorations are dry put glue on the parts of your decoration you want glitter on. We used an all purpose glue for this but found the glue to be very runny. Cover the decorations with glitter and shake off the excess. Repeat this process if you want more glitter. 

Et voilà they are ready to be strung up to go on the tree.  I hope you liked my little make do let me know if you try it and like a little bit of glitter in your life. 

I’m linking up our Christmas Clay Decorations post with Mum in the Mad House (Jen Walshaw's) A Month of Kid-Made Christmas Decorations link up. Each day of November different bloggers will be bringing you Christmas projects to inspire you to have a happy handmade festive season.

Motherhood The Real DealHot Pink WellingtonsAn Imperfect MumThe PramshedCuddle FairyWhimsical MumblingsTwo Tiny HandsReflectionsfrommePink Pear BearRhyming with WineMrs Mummy Harris

Comments

  1. These are great. I love Christmas crafts and like you said, Halloween is out of the way now so we can focus on Christmas. I'm planning on Making some clay decorations with my little girl too. I think we'll do it tomorrow actually. X #FamilyFunLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Great I've inspired you to get the clay out too.

      Delete
  2. it really is getting close isn't it. y kids would love this, they were making playdoh today and we ended up with blue food dye everywhere AHHHH, but gosh they had fun. I love this idea so thank you so much for sharing it on #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. I tried making play dough once but eldest wasn't impressed at the time.

      Delete
  3. These look fantastic. What a great idea. I do love home made decorations. #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Home made decorations are made with love.

      Delete
  4. I am always looking out for new craft ideas to do with children, so I will, definitely be trying some of these #familyfun@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are inexpensive and lots of fun to make with the kids for sure

      Delete
  5. What a great craft idea to do with kids! #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are just adorable. I love them. Thank you for joining in with this years Kid Made Christmas Series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen. I really enjoyed joining in this year.

      Delete
  7. Wow, I like these. This is an activity my daughter would love to do with one of us. I'm going to suggest it to her I think. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm pleased I've inspired you and yours.

      Delete
  8. These look really pretty and very easy for even little people to make :o)

    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so cute, we have made clay decorations in the past for the tree. My prized, though, decorations were made by my eldest son when he was at college and he made me glass baubles that he 'blew' himself. They are very heavy though!
    #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glass blown baubles sound fantastic and I'm sure they are made with love.

      Delete
  10. These look fantastic! We need to get some air drying clay and try and make some of these for Christmas! x #FamilyFun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sure you will find them lots of fun.

      Delete
  11. These look really good fun to make and so festive x #TriumphantTales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly were. My eldest certainly found it to be.

      Delete
  12. oooooo I'm gonna have to try this soon!! Last year i attempted salt dough handprints and it went so wrong I ended up painting the handprints over it hahahahahahah!
    Thank you for sharing this with us at #TriumphantTales. I hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to have inspired you. We've tried salt dough in this house too but it didn't turn out as well as these it's true.

      Delete
    2. Popping back from #sharingthebloglove

      Delete
  13. What a fab idea. I love home made decorations, makes things so much more personal. And a little it (or a lot!) of glitter is always a good thing!
    #TriumphantTales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah glitter gets everywhere during the festive season . Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. Oh this brings back some memories, I used to love doing this as a child X #triumphanttales

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love working with clay! There is something therapeutic about it and relaxing. These Christmas designs will definitely help to get into the holiday spirit:) #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh these look really fab! I've never tried making our own so maybe I'll give it a shot this year. Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub x

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so pretty. They look fantastic and simple to make too xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. A colleague made these with her class last year and they were so effective. I like how you used only white paint. Thank you for sharing ton #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look fun to do, and so very elegant! We love glitter around here. In fact, glitter is our favorite color! :) #bigpinklink xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Popping back from #mg and thinking about glitter again! :0

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooo I love new decorations for our tree and some homemade ones would be lovely. #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how simple these are. A great way to get the children involved in Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay! Making Christmas decs is one of my all time favourite things to do with the kids and I still have decs I made when I wa a child! Thanks for linking up to the#bigpinklink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely idea, I bet they look great on the tree too. May have to give this one a go!
    Thank you for joining #FamilyFunLinky x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm wanting a white and silver theme this year so this would work lovely as it's still something that the little man could get involved in without it looking garish! #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look lovely. I love home-made decorations, it's so much fun getting other family members involved x
    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea, looks like fun to make! #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are really sweet and look really achieveable too! I love homemade decorations - we have one that my son made at nursery last year, I'd love to add a few more this year. I've never heard of air dry clay before, what a great invention! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are adorable, such a lovely idea. My girls would love making them! Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love a bit of crafting Thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofblog

    ReplyDelete
  31. We're going to start Christmas crafting this weekend and these look so cute (and less faff than salt dough )

    ReplyDelete
  32. I made these with a class when I was a teaching assistant. Yours look lovely with the classic white and silver colours #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are beautiful and such a great idea. We'll definitely be doing these next year when my little one is a bit older (she's only 6 months at the moment) #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  34. These look great and so easy to do. My three will be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look fab Helena! I love doing Christmas crafts with my boys. My 7 year is already counting the sleeps until Christmas!

    Thanks so much for sharing with #MMBC. Hope to see you Monday x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment